Realistic Resolutions

Every year we all make New Years resolutions (well most people) and break them within the first few weeks. In an article I read online, only 8% of people achieve their New Years resolutions. So where does that leave the rest of us? The other 92% who vow to make changes in our lives; to create a ‘new me’? We aren’t failures we just have to set goals that are more realistic which is why I will never achieve to be more organised because it’s too vague. That and the fact I think I need to accept I’m just not an organised sort of person. However, this year I am only making one resolution which is to update this blog every week to two weeks which isn’t too vague but doesn’t put me under so much pressure to have something to write. How hard can it be?

I was looking at an article on New Years resolutions for students and found myself agreeing with most of them. Number one was to go to lectures and seminars. Now this one doesn’t apply to me so much as I’ve always had pretty good attendance and want to do well but I will admit that there have been a few mornings (especially as it’s been getting colder and I’m not a morning person) that I haven’t wanted to get out of bed. Most of the time I have been able to drag myself to Uni but other times the thought of sitting in a stuffy lecture room with the boring lecturer who drones on whilst we all try to make sense of it all, isn’t worth waking up for.

Number 2 was to pick your nights out. Also a valid point which doesn’t apply during freshers where I went out almost every night.It seems fun at the time but a bit of a killer when you can barely keep your eyes open through the 2 hour seminar where the overly bright power point seems like a method of torture on your poor eyes. I have managed to start saying no to nights out though which saves money and hangovers. Win, win.

Number 3 was limit the shows you watch. I don’t think I was too bad on this but getting into Misfits and Breaking Bad was definitely not a good idea with deadlines coming up. Luckily I don’t have the luxury of a TV in my room which helps with motivation. I personally don’t think I’d be able to be a guy and have the distraction of an x box. The main distraction for me though has got to be Facebook. If I could just not be tempted to look at it while doing my work, I’d get a lot more done. Maybe I do need to make more than one resolution.

Number 4 was about saving energy which I don’t have to worry about since I’m in student residences but I will next year when I move into a house. I’ll just keep it in mind as a handy tip so I don’t have to live in the dark and the cold.

Number 5 was to do the housework. I’m not too bad on this except for letting my room get so disorganised that I can’t find anything but that’s my own space and I normally get sick of it so end up cleaning eventually. Our kitchen was pretty messy last term so hopefully we can keep it cleaner this term, it just takes everybody to do their bit, but what do you expect? It’s a student flat.

So that’s it and I’m back at Uni on Monday. These three weeks at home have been good, catching up with family and friends, stressing over work (not so good) and welcoming in the New Year at the dingy, little club in my home town which makes me appreciate how good the clubs are back at Uni. Here’s to a great 2014!

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *