Beating The January Blues

It’s basically half way through January already; I feel another year is going to flash by before we know it! I don’t want this to be a pessimistic post about how I hate January even though I kinda do because the dark mornings are the worst and it was so cold this morning that I couldn’t feel my face. I also nearly missed a doctor’s appointment because of a train delay on Monday. Love you Southern! However, it will get brighter and warmer soon and Southern will receive yet another angry complaint if this keeps on so it’s not all bad.

The highlight of my week so far has been Zumba because it actually made me feel warm for an hour and we ended on the Can Can which is the best dance ever. I know how hard it is to try and motivate yourself to go and exercise in the cold unless exercise is your thing or you have a home gym but it will make you feel better about yourself. It can also be enjoyable, in fact if it’s not; don’t do it. That’s why I don’t go to the gym. I hate just looking at the wall whilst on the cross trainer or seeing people next to you who are obviously pros and make you feel like 10 minutes on a treadmill just isn’t enough.  Exercise is something to take your mind off of the fact that it’s January and turning quite frankly, freezing outside.

Another way to beat those January blues is going to the cinema. I have to admit, there isn’t much on that interests me at the moment. Obviously, Star Wars has come out but what else is there that I can watch? There’s something out on the 29th called Spotlight about the newspaper hacking scandal which looks pretty good but aside from that, it looks like TV might be my best bet. I need some recommendations there too to be honest. I’m so desperate for Game of Thrones to come back like right now that I can’t seem to commit to watching anything else. I tried Prison Break for a while but got a bit bored.

Nights in are the way forward, especially in January after the money spending spree that is Christmas. I’ve been trying not to spend much at all this January and vowed to not do much until my birthday which FYI is the 11th February. It’s going well so far and I think the weather is probably to thank since it makes me want to hibernate and not do anything. Nights in with friends are the best. Just a few of you sitting round chatting with drinks and nibbles for company. Costs practically nothing and is  just as fun as going out with much less hassle.

On the upside, it is starting to get sunnier instead of constant rain so we can only hope it will get warmer too. Here’s to a warmer, cost free weekend!

8 Comments

1. 14/01/16 / 8:35 pm

I definitely know that feeling of the January blues. In the winter I find it so difficult to go out and do anything after work. I feel lethargic and a bit sombre. I’ve always wanted to look into one of those SAD lights but have no idea if they actually work? Anyhow we’re halfway there and soon it’ll be brighter 🙂

• Kerrie
      15/01/16 / 10:35 am

Yeah same, I always feel so tired and ready to hibernate. I think most of my friends are the same but we all end up bored because no one can be bothered to meet up as much haha there’s also not a lot to do. I’ve never heard of SAD lights. What are they?

• 15/01/16 / 11:38 am

SAD is Seasonal Affective Disorder, it’s a bit like a winter depression where people feel quite down and low throughout the colder, darker months. I think one of the reasons it happens is because we don’t get enough daylight as the days are so dark. SAD lights are lamps that replicate natural daylight and when exposed to them for a certain amount of time per day, they help to get you out of the rut. The NHS has a page about it at http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Seasonal-affective-disorder/Pages/Introduction.aspx x

2. NaomiEdge17
    15/01/16 / 9:43 am

Ooh first comment, go me 😉 I totally agree about saving the money thing! And even if I go to the pub with a few friends I usually just buy one drink and then say my goodbyes, perfect for a short but sweet catchup! I usually HATE janurary and i know its a bit of a cliche. But this year I’ve actually decided to paln more things in the month, espically jan feb and march, so I have something to look forward to, that is the only thing that really motivates me and excites me.

• Kerrie
      15/01/16 / 10:32 am

Yeah good idea, it’s nice to have something to look forward to! I’m trying to do things that cost less money but are still fun haha. Zumba is great, always leaves me smiling and feeling energised. Would definitely recommend it 🙂 Thanks for the TV recommendations, I adore Nashville haha so excited for the next season to come to the UK! I also really like Big Bang Theory but could never really get into How I Met Your Mother :/ I’ll have a look at the others though.

• NaomiEdge17
        15/01/16 / 12:06 pm

Thanks, and yes defintley! 🙂 Yeah I can totally understand that! That’s always a target of mine to be honest, espicially when i’m saving up for something. Oh great, I will give it a go at some point! No problem and oh my gosh me too! I haven’t found anyone else that watches it and loves it as much as me 😀 haha. I’m actually obssessed… Oh okay fair enough. Yeah do it!

3. NaomiEdge17
    15/01/16 / 9:46 am

I still need to try Zumba also, I think I’d love it! I used to dance at a class when I was in primary school but lost the enthuasiam and confidence to do it, but would love to get back into at some point. Also, tv recommendations I would say, I love my American shows! So Nashville, The Big Bang Theory, Scream Queens (if you like all things horror or scary), How I Met Your Mother, Gilmore Girls (for feel good tv). British wise, The Undateables, First Dates, I love my channel 4 shows! Hope this helps or gives you some ideas 🙂

4. Kerrie
    15/01/16 / 12:28 pm

Ah okay, yeah I’ve heard of SAD and kind of knew what it was but thanks for giving me more info 🙂 The lights seem like a good idea. It’s really horrible going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark for me but like you said it seems to be getting lighter so hopefully it will pass.